1/2 kg bitter-gourds. (Karela).
6 – 8 onions ( finely chopped).
2 tsp cumin seeds.
1 inch ginger ( finely chopped).
Amchur powder – 4 tsp.
Coriander powder – 4 tsp.
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp.
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
Salt to taste.
Juice of 5 lemons.
Oil for frying.
1 Wash the karelas & scrape them with a peeler. Slit on one side & deseed.
2. Add salt & lime-juice to the scraped portion. Mix well & keep aside.
3. Apply lime-juice & salt to the karelas, both outside as well as inside.
4. Wait for 10 minutes, squeeze out the water from both, the scraped portion as well as the karelas.
5. Place both in a colander & wash under running water. Steam them.
6. In a kadhai, add 2 tsp oil. Add cumin seeds & chopped ginger. Fry well.
7. When the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add onions & scraped portion of karelas & fry till onions are translucent.
8. Add Amchur powder, Red Chilli powder, Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Coriander powder & salt to taste.
9. Mix well & fry on low flame for 2 – 3 minutes.
10 Drain all the water from the steamed karelas & stuff the onion mixture into the slits.
11. Tie up the karelas with a thread, so that the masala doesn’t drop out.
12. Repeat with all the karelas.
13. In a non-stick pan, add a teaspoon of two of oil & spread well.
14. Lay the karelas, side-by-side & fry on low flame.
15. Turn over, spread oil & fry the other side too.
16. Repeat with all karelas & serve hot with roti & dal-rice. :-)